To help you settle into the moment, and to help nourish and move your Blood, calm your Spirit, lift you mood, and provide the comfort a warm bath or blanket may provide, here’s my nighttime “hot milk” recipe:
- 1 tablespoon each of raisins (I like the golden hunza kind) and sour cherries
- 1 piece of orange peel (appx 1/2″ x 1″ long will do)
- water (1oz)
- 1 cup (or fill your mug to your desired amount) of your milk of choice. (Pictured here is oat milk.)
- 1/8tsp fresh ground/grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch saffron
- Rose petal honey
- Boil water on the stove, then pour about 1oz over the dried fruit, orange peel and saffron
- Stir and let steep for 5 mins
- Heat your milk until foamy, then add to your mug
- Add your nutmeg
- Then, add rose petal honey (or other sweetener) of choice – if you desire. This is plenty sweet enough without the honey though.
- Drink before bed, eat the fruit with a spoon, toss the peel, then have a great night’s sleep!
Saffron has been used for centuries to work with a variety of imbalances, is safe to use well into summer, and it is beneficial for most people*. Saffron improves blood circulation, regulates menstruation, reduces inflammation, calms nervousness and alleviates depression, an is considered a tonic for the heart and immune system. (Source)
Nutmeg has been used for sleep issues (such as waking at night) in Ayurveda. (Source) I initially put it in this recipe partly because I knew that it helped with sleep, but mostly because cardamom was too warming and stimulating for me to have in the evening.
Sour cherries and hunza raisins promote the formation of new Blood and help maintain blood sugar levels throughout the night. Goji berries are a possible use here as well, as they are highly beneficial for the Liver. Alas, I don’t do well with goji berries, which is why I am using raisins and cherries.
Rose petal honey is sweet, soothing, and since I used a very dark slightly bitter honey here, this helps the Heart and acts as an attendant directing all of the other herbs to move to soothe the Heart and Liver.
If you feel ungrounded and filled with fear, add a pinch of salt. The salt will root you back into your Kidneys, where the ocean of your inner and ancestral wisdom lives.
If you are feeling the weight of the grief of the world, add a teaspoon of Albizzia tincture to this blend to allow your Heart to rest.